Saturday, October 26, 2013

This, I see, is actually even more hungry despite your little negative attitude. War Movies in gene


1957 Stanley Kubrick directed his last movie in the 50's, Paths of Glory. The film is an anti-war film set during the First World War and was Kubrick's sportsauthority first commercial hit that was acclaimed by critics and began Kubrick's way to becoming one of the greatest of all time. The film was banned in France and Germany for some time.
War Movies sportsauthority is never something that has interested me significantly. Most often, they are way too sentimental or patriotic for my taste, and there is far too much focus on creating "cool" fights instead of a proper story. Paths of Glory is an unsentimental and rather cold-drama film about a situation in the military rather than the war itself. Therefore, one can almost call it an anti-military film rather than an anti-war film, I would say, even though it really is both.
The film clocks in at 87 minutes, and is thus a relatively short movie. sportsauthority Despite this, I think the start is just too tough for my taste, and Kubrick did not manage to catch my interest right away. It is only when military force's parent tells troops to attack their own men as I start to get interested in the plot, and then succeed Kubrick sportsauthority good to keep my interest up the rest of the film.
The film has been praised for his photo, which it certainly deserves. There are several sportsauthority awesome shots, especially the iconic shooting sportsauthority when Douglas goes through the trenches while the camera makes a skating backwards with a focus on Douglas. Lighting sportsauthority is something sportsauthority that Kubrick has always been a master at, and there are some excellent sportsauthority scenes where light and shadow are used in stylish way.
The acting in the film is a little sportsauthority stilted, and it happens several times that the actors of the play too much. Kirk Douglas is obviously good in his role, but perhaps not as good as I had expected, then this should be one of his most acclaimed roles. I prefer him clearly in say for example Ace in the Hole.
The film makes a lot right, but also some misses and things that make me not become fully engaged, including a little slow start that did not catch me. There are several things sportsauthority that make me never really become emotionally moved by the film that I had hoped for, which is really a shame as this is a very good film in many ways. The final scene save up some of this, however, sportsauthority and the film ends in a way that I will be happy with.
Paths of Glory belongs to Kubrick elite, and if I gave it a higher rating than I do feel like I'd just do it because it's Kubrick. I know he can do better than this, that he has shown several times! A strong third reaches still up to the film, which of course is a good score with it. But more than that I can not give it because of reasons that I have mentioned in the text.
It's a shame you did not get so involved that one should get rid of this film. Personally, I like war movies, although I would agree that they do not always focus on the right things. I think this is a good war drama and has given it a strong four. Possibly it is lowered at omtitt, but I remember it very well with good performances (mainly Douglas then), nice photo and well-made war scenes. But above all, a good, strong story. But it was a while since I saw it so ...
This, I see, is actually even more hungry despite your little negative attitude. War Movies in general, I am not so fond of, but dramas about stuff around it is all the more interesting. And Kubrick is Kubrick.
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. (Log Out / Change)
Search Blogroll Home Latest comments black noir on Argo latest posts Argo A Fish Called Wanda 360 Paths of Glory Wolf Archives April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 Categories Film Themes / Theme Weeks In Focus Post Lists and other
% D bloggers like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment